On 2/10/13 8:56 AM, Michal Migurski wrote:
I don't agree. NE2’s edits, most of all the route relations, are enormously
valuable to OSM in the US. I'm not aware of any precedent for banning a user
like this, and I'm not eager to see one set.

i'm with mike. while i, like many, have butted heads with NE2 in the past and no doubt will do so in the future, he has made a lot of valuable contributions. in this particular case, the turn restriction has a direct bearing on routing and so fits in with something he has
been working hard at.

his main weaknesses are twofold:

1) he armchair maps a lot and doesn't play well with local mappers

2) related to the latter, he seems to be fairly antisocial in his interactions
with others in the community. the oft impersonal nature of email
doesn't help much with this.

he has gotten better over the past several years, but i suspect he still
doesn't really connect to the rest of us as people rather than usernames
and handles. i find myself wishing he would attend an SOTM US or something
like that, not because of the talks, but for the opportunity to sit down
with a bunch of committed mappers over a couple of beers.

the issue of any sort of temporary or permanent ban defaults, i believe,
in the hands of the DWG (Data Working Group), and i understand that
they haven't really ever been given a clear cut case in one of these disputes.

richard