On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:

> His malice is encapsulated in his inability to work with other
> people. For example, I dislike a particular global modification to my
> work that he has made. I know that he has more spare time than me to
> pursue his ideas, and so I haven't bothered to fighting on it, because
> I know he will fight me, and I know he will win.

Which was the thrust of my interaction in private messaging that I was
trying to get at when I referenced a vacuum.  "Never argue with a fool, for
they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."  NE2
is demonstrably quite experienced at that.

> So I have resigned myself to allowing OSM to be a little bit worse
> because of him. How many other people have made the same decision?

I know I have, particularly since I returned to Oklahoma and now spent far
more time collecting GPX tracks and bugfixing than actively editing just
due to the level of effort required.

How much worse is OSM because of NE2? Does this outweigh his positive
> accomplishments?

We'll never know on the former, but I think the Archives will hear me out
when I say we're wasting some *serious* man-hours debating this issue once
a quarter.  Any other organization other than, perhaps, some rather poorly
run fandom conventions, would have ditched him a while ago now.  Honestly,
the only other way I can think of to handle such a situation is going to a
more Google Maps style verified edits model where Someone Else has to
"second" every edit anybody makes.  I highly doubt we want to do that
simply to keep a single contributor involved.