Have you tried ogr2ogr, going shape to shape with a GCS_North_American_1983 and WGS84 source transform to epsg:900913 or epsg:4326 as a target ?

Then you'll at least be in the right coordinate system.

Awesome. Good old ogr2ogr did the trick. I now have eliminated the transformation error!

Most of my Question #2 remains.  I'll restate:

If this "test case" proves successful in uploading wilderness boundaries in central and southern California for the LPNF, and I document the set of steps I took (largely already just done), might the greater OSM community reach consensus that all national wilderness areas (and other national treasures it can be valuable to have in OSM, such as wild and scenic rivers) are suitable candidates for importation and upload?

Thanks everybody,

SteveA
California