Hello SteveA,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate you work for updating the national forests in southern California.

Before posting I already read the wiki pages you mentioned. For me it seemed that there is still some dispute about how the tag landuse=forest is used and there exist different approaches. What I only learned now is that US National Forests are indeed used for timber harvesting (and not only for forest protection) so I now fully agree that the natural=wood tag is inappropriate.

However, one thing which I still find strange is to tag large areas of scrub (bushes without any trees) as landuse=forest. Somebody using the map may be surprised when not finding any trees in a region mapped as a forest. [The parts of the Angeles National forest that I have seen so far are dominated by scrub] For me using the landuse=forest tag in this case seems to contradict the fact that landuse=forest is supposed to describe woodland.

In an ideally detailed map those parts would be marked as scrub. For me it seems that what to do in the current situation is a question of what to take as a default. Your point of view is marking everything as landuse=forest and manually excluding scrub land. I thought it would be better to only mark parts as forest which clearly are woodland. Since your point of view seems to be the standard practice right now, I agree that it is probably the best to stick to it (although this means, imho, ignoring the conflicting definitions of scrub and forest).

Buy the way, what is rendered when a region is landuse=forest and natural=scrub at the same time?

Thanks

Torsten