If you have an area that cannot grow trees, due to altitude, inadequate groundwater, or having exposed rock rather than soil (as with many mountaintops), then, in what sense is it a managed forest? I am not talking about areas that are temporarily treeless due to the trees having been harvested.

I am talking about how "landuse=forest" as a tag has come to imply the semantic of "managed forest." I'm not saying this is not ALSO tangled up with "usually implies a landcover of trees" -- it IS tangled up exactly like that. We agree "harvested of trees, and so treeless" is still OK to call "landuse=forest." Why? Because we agree that the area so denoted with that tag is "a managed forest."

Additionally, if an area "above the treeline" which will never grow trees is ALSO part of the inside of a polygon of "managed forest" it, too, should continue to remain "landuse=forest" for exactly the same reason: it is an area within managed forest. Perhaps it is also roadless and perhaps it is also the even higher-protected class of wilderness -- OK, that's fine, but we frequently (and correctly, I argue) add wilderness areas as "overlay polygons" within landuse=forest areas without confusion. And that's correct, and even mapnik renders these in a certain way that can be seen (NR over dark green with trees).

What many (all?) seem to agree on is that landcover could very well be improved. Yes, in both use of the tag AND in rendering support!

What some seem to disagree on is that "landuse=forest" is the correct tag for areas which are "managed forest land, whether with or without trees." In my opinion, it means exactly that, as that is how it seems to be extensively, if not exclusively used. At least in the USA where my (wider) focus is.

Then, Clifford Snow and Martin Koppenhoefer get into it: