As the original importer of this data, I support Paul's proposal to
selectively delete the larger residential areas, which mostly are too broad
to be in OSM. I know the farm data has its problems, especially in the
earlier counties where I didn't fully realize how to use techniques to
fully optimize the data and split it up more first. But there is a lot of
good useful data mixed in with the bad data. The strength of the data is
the farms and these data are generally high quality. People have expressed
to me that the data is hard to edit in the areas that it is too vast, and I
do apologize for the extra work this has caused. Originally I left in a lot
of what FMMP defined as "urban land." These often included a wide variety
of features that were split apart a lot better in later imports done.

For better or for worse, California is no longer a barren wilderness but
has blossomed into a flower full of color and life. I always am open to
comments and critisms and working with others to make the data better.

Nathan