In Pennsylvania, "Villages" are often labeled as "Hamlets".  These villages
always appear within another municipality (as the entire state is
incorporated).  They don't have any legal entity associated with them, and
they are probably becoming less important as suburbs take over the old
farming areas.  They are still fairly important to people in Pennsylvania
as far as giving directions or discussing a location.

There are also populated places (such as this one, Chickentown:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/157635699) that  the locals have
no idea that it exists. The people who do know about, know it because
online services tell them that they are in that "town".  Down the road a
little bit, there is another "Hamlet" (Hecktown:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1993248917) which definitely
exists. They have their own fire station, and people in the area generally
know where it is.  Hecktown is also a village, where Chickentown is not.

To confuse this further, there are "Census Designated Places" in PA, which
are very well known. Hershey (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/25930002) is a very good example
of this, which is oddly labeled as a "town", which isn't a form of
government recognized in Pennsylvania (There is one exception, Bloomsburg,
which is essentially a Borough, but uses the name 'town').  It should be
noted that this isn't an import, although there is a boundary (Admin level
8) which is imported from TIGER.

Nobody really gets this stuff right.  But I think the census data is a
little bit better than the GNIS data, where a lot of these "hamlets" came
from initially. In fact, the GNIS does list when a record is connected to a
Census record on their website, it just isn't published in their
downloadable files.

See on the GNIS website:
Hershey, PA:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:2307265203645995::NO::P3_FID:1176895
Chickentown, PA:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:1767520712437467::NO::P3_FID:1210868
Hecktown:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:1179118570263105::NO::P3_FID:1176752

So, while I like the GNIS dataset, and I actually am working on a
crowdsourcing project to improve the GNIS dataset (
http://navigator.er.usgs.gov), I think the Census data is much more useful
for our purposes.

--
Jim McAndrew