I remember this specific issue being brought up multiple times before. It's
been my understanding that this is the consensus: the pieces of I-10 and
I-40 in West Texas should be trunk wherever they have at-grade
intersections, because they have multiple at-grade intersections and not a
single rare one.

I'm willing to go with this, because tagging them as motorway seems like an
issue of tagging for the renderer, or otherwise making a special exception
because the highway happens to be an Interstate. There are a few other
cases where Interstates with at-grade intersections are tagged as trunk
(e.g. Holland Tunnel approach, and I-70 in Breezewood, PA). These cases
tend to have traffic lights, but the West Texas Interstates don't seem like
too different of a case to me.