> and the route numbers on them don't always match the route numbers on the
larger road signs.
Perhaps I misunderstand what is being said, but I would think this would be
an argument *for* tagging the mile marker.  Suppose someone wanted to
report an event (accident, etc).  They might say, "it happened right by
RT123 Mile Marker 13"  If that mile marker isn't actually on RT123 one
would have a difficult time finding that location in OSM based solely on
automatic generation of mile markers (since the ways in OSM are presumably
tagged with the information from the larger road signs).

Mike