go for it.
actually the ele tag is quite wrong on peaks and should be removed too or renamed to something like estimated ele

On 8/20/2013 1:54 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
Hi all,

I've been looking at the GNIS data and it's quite a mess.

As a step towards cleaning up the mess, I'd like to discuss removing
some extranious gnis tags in the editors (just as we do with TIGER and
other tags).

I would like to suggest that the editors remove the following tags entirely:

gnis:ST_num
gnis:ST_alpha
gnis:feature_type
gnis:created
gnis:state_id
gnis:county_id
gnis:county_name
gnis:feature_type
gnis:import_uuid
gnis:reviewed
gnis:edited
gnis:description
gnis:County
gnis:Class
gnis:County_num

In addition, I suggest that we remove two other tags conditionally.

I suggest we remove the "ele" tag unless the tag natural=peak is
present and that we remove "source" if the value for that tag is "USGS
Geonames" (which is just GNIS).

I'd like to open a discussion about these tags, or other tags people
suggest removing from gnis data.

- Serge