2013/11/7 Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org>

> I would not dispute at all that administrative boundaries are an
> important component of any map. OSM is not really just a map though -
> it is a database you can make a map out of among many other things,
> and a very unique database at that: one created by people like you and
> me. The more data you introduce into our man-made OSM that is neither
> created nor verifiable by people like you and me, the more we depart
> from that notion of OSM as a map based on our collective knowledge,
> which is something that we should be very cautious about. And if you
> want to make that map, there are straightforward ways to incorporate
> things that live outside of OSM in it.

IMHO to some extend boundaries are also ground surveyable. Maybe you can't
do it up to the inch, but if you ask someone somewhere they could for
instance tell you whether they live in Canada or in the US. This might be
more difficult for borders in higher admin-level (numbers), but still it
could also work there. I don't expect this to be perfect, but with the time
my guess is that we would get to pretty good boundary data if enough people
take part.

cheers,
Martin