On 11/26/13 8:33 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
I also have used an old etrex HCx and a new etrex 20. Both are good at the job. Battery life is good (full day with rechargeable batteries at 1 sec sampling). Resolution is good (down to 1 meter with good satellite visibility), especially with the newer model. Position reproducibility is also good (down to 2 meters with the etrex 20). They work for hours under pouring rain.

OSM maps in the US are of different levels of quality. When I last mapped on the CA west coast (Big Sur, where else?) I noted loads of non-existing roads still there from the old Tiger import.