2013/12/11 Evin Fairchild <evindf...@gmail.com>

> I think the reason why things like this happen is because the highway
> tagging scheme in OSM was modeled off of UK's road-classification system
> and really isn't compatible with the road-classification system in the US.

it is mainly the names that are taken from the UK classification. Every
road system is compatible with the current system, you simply have to
structure the data according to relative importance of the road (i.e. an
unclassified is less important than a tertiary which is less important than
a secondary than a primary). If you need additional attributes (like
state-highway) this doesn't necessarily have to be expressed in the main
highway tag. E.g. in Germany there are some streets that despite not being
a motorway have an additional sign which restricts usage to certain
motorized vehicles (no small motorcycles, no pedestrians, no bikes etc.)
and we detached this from the main highway classification and add an
additional motorroad=yes to these.

If "state-highway" means that maintenance is done by the state you could
also use "operator=*" for these (or maybe you can already see this property
by the "ref" tag?).

cheers,
Martin