On 08:34 2014-01-13, Peter Davies wrote:
Thanks, Mihh.

Actually I'm interested in any road on which significant traffic
incidents and slowdowns occur, including county roads and major named
urban streets (OSM primary, secondary, and maybe tertiary).  I've not
heard of anyone planning to go down to those levels with route
relations, but we might (one day) be able to generate them automatically
in our proposed location database importer, if folks would be
interested.  If it happened, this would return (export) the assembled
"bot" relations data to the OSM community.

One extreme example would be Logan County, Ohio. [1] Outside the county seat, Bellefontaine, virtually every road has a route shield, so I've been adding them all to route relations. So far, I've completed the western half of the county.

I'm primarily motivated by supporting the "shield renderer" that'll hopefully go up on osm.org someday. So any county or township that doesn't signpost its routes is not a particularly high priority for me.

Route relations certainly aren't going to supplant tags on ways for every use case. You'll still have to look at the individual ways to be sure about the road name.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/184059

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us