Despite the cost overhead of Meetup, it is definitely worth investigating.
Our local Python group started using meetup last year and it gave us a huge
boost in exposure and has brought in quite a few new people who didn't know
that we existed.  To me, the exposure to the (literally) thousands of
people in your area who might find OSM interesting is very valuable when
you are trying to get a group started.  Maybe there is a local company who
would be willing to help with sponsoring the meetup costs.  Maybe the local
Chamber of Commerce would see the value in it?

David.