As Richard pointed out, we need consistency. Here in Kansas state highways
are generally referred to as "K-xx" however in OSM they are tagged with a
ref of "KS xx" because I feel like being consistent is more important than
how they look on osm.org.

And speaking of renderers, you will notice that the MapQuest Open tiles
actually do show state-specific sunflower shields on Kansas highways. They
are looking for two-letter state abbreviations in the way ref tag. I say
this not as a suggestion that we tag for the MapQuest style sheet but just
as a counter-point to "it looks ugly on osm.org" and to reinforce Richard's
point that we need to think about data consumers in general.

Toby