On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> Routing doesn't need names, it just needs connected ways and a means to
> display the route. I agree that without names, it is difficult to give
> written directions. But how often do we need written directions any more?
> Don't most people use some sort of graphical display when looking at routes
> anymore?

Audio routing (so you can put your phone in your pocket and listen to
headphones) and audio/braille descriptions for the disabled would be
the most obvious use cases for names. In fact, I'd imagine the
disabled are a likely important audience for OSM since Google doesn't
go out of its way to provide non-visual interfaces to Google Maps as
far as I know.

Chris