On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM, William Morris
> <wboyk...@geosprocket.com> wrote:
> > Please let me know if I should direct this at a different list, but I
> > have a basic question about the implications of the ODBL:
> >
> > OSM is brimming with great POIs and network features; I'd like to use
> > some of these categories to answer broad questions like "How far is
> > this customer from the nearest park/school/whatever"? Unfortunately,
> > I'm not precisely sure of my legal obligation once I've answered that
> > question. Specifically, would I be required to contribute the location
> > of the customer back to OSM? If not, does that still hold when I
> > upscale it to millions of customers?
> >
> > Thanks for the assistance, in any case. I know this is a somewhat
> > contentious issue for the community, and I'd rather not make any
> > assumptions.
>
> ODbL isn't contentious among OpenStreetMap contributors at all.  We've
> all agreed to ODbL as a matter of course, in getting our contributor
> accounts. Sounds like you've been mislead by somebody with a bone to
> pick.  Ignore them.  :-)
>
> The right mailing list for license-realted questions or discussions is
> legal-talk@[1]
>
> On the face of your question, I would be surprised if OpenStreetMap
> would want to know the current location of an individual.  That seems
> to fly in the face of the respect for individual privacy that
> OpenStreetMap demonstrates.  I've presumed that your customer is a
> person, as they go about their day.  That presumption could be way off
> base.
>
> It could go the other way, I suppose.  If your customer is a business
> or POI that isn't included in OpenStreetMap, well then, yes
> OpenStreetMap would like that data.

For the terms of the license it doesn't matter what data is interesting for
OpenStreetMap or not at all, but rather what licensing terms apply. If you
create data by computation based on OpenStreetMap data you are clearly
creating a Produced Work and the data is unencumbered by the share alike
provisions.

Of course, if you have awesome data for OpenStreetMap, please contribute!

Alex