I should also add that in the US, it depends wildly on where you are.  In
Oregon, for example, all speed limits on all public roads, regardless of
what government authority actually owns and operates the road, are set by
the Oregon Department of Transportation, period.  Yes, everything from a
parking aisle in a government parking lot, to a service alley in a
neighborhood up to the largest freeway, set by ODOT.

On the other end of the spectrum (as far as I'm aware), you have Oklahoma,
which OklaDOT has overriding authority, but delegates speed limits to local
counties, who generally in turn delegate to local towns and cities, and
generally don't run into problems as long as everyone's in agreement on
what a reasonable speed limit for the local community and highway
conditions are, particularly when it concerns state highways (since
everything state highway and up OklaDOT definitely has control over, and
they greatly prefer to step down the speed in 10 MPH increments to meet the
local town's expectations).

There's a few places where this doesn't always work out, but it's probably
as likely an overlooked stolen sign than deliberate malice on local
jurisdictions parts (such as entering Ramona, OK on County Road W3350 from
the west, the speed limit drops from 45 to 25 with no warning from as long
as I've been aware of the road to as recently as July, but there is
evidence that the sign is just plain missing as there's a few empty posts
heading into town on that rarely used road).