Just out of curiosity, I did a dumb "road name" comparison between TIGER 2013 and TIGER 2014 for the surrounding dozen counties. I was surprised to find that my local county had a bunch of new roads added. So the TIGER data can get a major update for a reason other than the census workers traversing every street and finding a new street. None of the other counties had new roads added though.

Since the new roads were flagged, I was able to bring them into OSM. (All manually checked for connectivity, smoothing, etc).