On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Nate Wessel <bike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not want to see signs placed as a point on the line except maybe
> on one-ways. How do other types of road signs indicate directionality? Has
> this already been effectively resolved? I don't actually think I've ever
> seen a sign in OSM around these parts.

Generally speaking, signs are posted on the same side of the road as the
direction they effect (say drive-on-right, north-south road:  Signs
affecting northbound traffic would be on the east side of the roadway).
 There are some exceptions, however, such as conditional STOP and DO NOT
ENTER signs that light up if a clearance is exceeded, and other warning
signs (usually of the stop/yield/signal ahead or low clearance ahead
variety) in which it's pretty obvious which way they're facing since there
will be a corresponding pair on the other side of the span or intersection
they're protecting facing the opposite direction.