That is odd. Perhaps their thinking was that the ref information
should be captured in a relation and that they wanted to forcefully
deprecate the ref tag on the way? I checked for the I-75 example and a
relation with route info is in place for it:

This is not really appropriate since the main map rendering stylesheet
still takes ref tags from ways to paint the route number shields.
There is work underway to take that information from route relations
though: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596
- perhaps Paul can comment on how close that is to being complete.
Once that is in place, the ref on ways will lose its significance.

Martijn

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM, James Mast <rickmastfa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up, but there is a user going around
> and adding '-' to all the ref tags he modifies in Michigan.
>
> A good example would be a good chunk of I-75 [1], I-96, M-3, M-10 in Metro
> Detroit.  But he's done it elsewhere in Michigan.
>
> I sent him a PM earlier mentioning this as a 'FYI' that we don't add the '-'
> to the ref tags.  Hopefully he'll respond.  Otherwise, this might be a
> massive cleanup.  Anybody else want to try and get a hold of this user as
> well?  I have also noticed that in some places where he has 'tweaked' the
> ref tags, others have done some 'reverting' work already putting them back
> to the normal standard. [2]
>
> -James
>
> [1] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8767860/history
> [2] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/17729896/history