Shawn,

My memory is fuzzy but there was a HS class that incorporated OSM in
the curriculum in around 2009/2010.

It was discussed at the first SOTM US in Atlanta.

There were a number of issues with the instructional effort on all
sides of the equation. For the school, they felt our tagging
system/editor was offensive because it included features that
conflicted with local morals and laws (brothels, for example). For
teachers, the teaching material was thin. For the OSM community, as
you pointed out, the students engaged in what we'd consider vandalism
(tagging each others' homes as bars and brothels) and I'm guessing
that you're seeing more of that kind of vandalism.

Using OSM in an educational setting is a laudable goal. It teaches
kids not kids not just the material but lets them work on something
"that really matters". It teaches them to be part of a larger
community and work within that community. It also hopefully teaches
them the value of the kind of work we're doing, our ethos of Free Data
and collaboration, etc.

At the same time, as you've seen, unless this is done carefully, it
can be a real problem. In OSM we've seen classes using OSM doing mass
imports, for example. We've seen these kind of edits that we'd
normally classify as vandalism, etc.

The Wikipedians see something similar when they work in schools, and
this issue of quality is always an issue.

As we see OSM used more in education, we have to really make the
instructors aware of the issues and make sure that monitoring the
student edits for quality is part of their workflow, both in terms of
instruction/grading but also in terms of ensuring that the OSM data
remains of high value.

- Serge