Paul Johnson replied:
Break it down by county (possibly by county district, given some of the really large ones like San Bernardino, or the real rail dense ones along the coast). Do the rail yards first, the rest becomes a cakewalk.

I did, I do; thanks. Rail yards first is a new concept for me. As we initially sketch major arteries (macro), doing the capillaries (micro) is a welcome change in perspective, now that I put some effort into it.

When in doubt, I move the TIGER-imported name to operator (since it often is) and leave name blank if I don't know the lead or subdivision or line.

Moving TIGER name to operator seems to be a more widely emerging consensus, thank you for chiming in once again "we seem to agree this is a good way to do this". There is some usage of owner= in addition to operator=, explainable by sometimes complex trackage rights / leasing arrangements in US rail. Yes, this will "emerge better" over time, yet we have now a good framework with TIGER, these tags and approaches.

There seems to be some confusion about this since I've noticed people will rename segments of TriMet's MAX system to "Metropolitan Area Express" after I've attempted to put the proper name of the line (and not the whole system) on the lines...

Yes, even with light_rail, subway and tram "systems" it is correct for name= to be the line, not the system.

Annoyingly, the Transit layer also seems to be exceptionally bus-oriented and doesn't render routes on rail lines, as well. This has led to some locales, such as folks interested in mapping the IRT and BRT in New York City, to tag for the renderer, putting routes in parenthesis in the name tag on stations.

Specific issues with the Transport renderer are perhaps only tangentially germane to this discussion, but I appreciate and agree with your complaints. OSM, its data and its renderers are built brick by brick, day by day, volunteer edit by volunteer edit. "It gets better." (THEY -- both data AND renderers -- get better).

To some extent, given that signs, signals and speed orders, change more often along rails than along roads, tends to be rather fluid, and are often located in places where, unless you're a frequent rider of a passenger service or work for the line, aren't readily verifiable legally (trespassing on a railroad is srs bsns, both legally and in terms of personal danger).

ORM tagging recommendations (excellent, and not to be ignored!) say this, also. Again, I have seen data (e.g. KML files on railfan sites) which are at a high level of detail (near or at "current perfection,") so, "the data are out there" (obtainable). However, please do follow good sense in getting them: personal safety, no trespassing, don't violate copyright or license agreements, and so on. Great discussion -- more?

Nicely developing in OSM and displaying well in ORM during the last 30 days: South Carolina, California, Kansas, Missouri, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Ohio. And probably a few other places in these fifty states. Yeah!

SteveA
California