I’m from PA and I know exactly the little signs that you’re talking about.  I
agree with everything you suggested about moving the SR #### ref to a different
key.  It’s not significant enough to be a “ref”.

I’m not sure who “owns” the Pennsylvania wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pennsylvania
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Pennsylvania>
But you might want to add this recommendation there, and maybe some more
guidance about classifying highways (like the New Jersey and New York pages
have).

I’ve considered coding up a cleanup bot - this might be a nice first task for
it.