On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, Mapillary is great. I wonder if there's room to get
> GoPro+Mapillary to donate a few units to put together a rig that we could
> ship around to people in the US that could collect data for the US
> community...

Mapilariy is fun... but collecting more data is not necessarily the avenue
to a better map.

Instead, consider how many people use the map.
Consider how many people "garden" a particular area of the map.
Consider how many people enthusiastically map a given feature (e.g. RV Dump
Stations, Dog Parks, Smoking Zones, Bike Repair Stations, Bear Boxes).

A pile of automatically imported or collected data is really not all that
interesting or complete.
I think in the USA the way forward involves finding user communities not
served by other maps (e.g. Bear Boxes, above).