Paul Norman quotes my previous post in this thread and writes:
 This is describing the actual landuse, not the legally permitted landuse.

 An example of describing the zoning instead of the actual landuse is
 marking areas of the desert with no development as landuse=residential
 because the government has at some point in the past zoned them as
 residential.

Paul, I agree; I understand this distinction. For example, there was a tiff in Scotts Valley, California (not far from me) circa 2009 where one OSM user entered landuse polygons directly from the published zoning map from the Scotts Valley City Council. I began to correct these where actual on-the-ground data disagreed with the zoning map. For example, many areas listed as zoned commercial are more like "intended to become commercial someday" but are truly residential in real life/on-the-ground, so I corrected them to be landuse=residential.

I take it as widely accepted that on-the-ground landuse is much preferred to be entered into OSM than is "zoned by the government" landuse. The former is correct, the latter is not and should be removed or corrected. Especially when the zoning represents an intention rather than reality.

What I understand Martin Koppenhoefer to say are essentially the same things, but I'm not sure if he understands (or agrees) with Escondido having large areas marked as landuse=residential. These are not simply zoned residential (they are), they ARE (on-the-ground verifiable) residential. So it is OK for them to be tagged as they are. They might also receive more detailed tagging in addition to this simple landuse polygon, a highway=residential street running through them, and not much else. These "skeletal" data are largely what are in OSM now across much of the USA, yes, I and many others know. However, buildings, address data, and other micro-mapping detail are being added. BOTH flavors of data are correct. While skeletal data aren't exactly preferred to "largely complete" data, they are not incorrect, they are just not as complete as they might be.

Landuse data should show what actually IS, not "simply" what is zoned and especially not what is intended. Yes, zoning data are a bit raw, and may be considered "early" or "a first step" for OSM. They need updating, they change over time. They may be "too broad" as where 40 acres are tagged as landuse=farmland where only 39 of them actually are landuse=farmland, but one acre is a house (landuse=residential) and perhaps landuse=farmyard where the barn and tractor and irrigation supplies are. Would I rather see this perfectly mapped in OSM, exactly as I describe such micro-mapped details? Yes, absolutely. Will I say that tagging all 40 acres as landuse=farmland is "totally incorrect?" No, though if I or somebody else has the time to tag with those better details, OSM sure will appreciate it. Should OSM show landuse=commercial because the County Supervisors just approved a shopping center be built on this farmland in the future? Absolutely not, especially if it is still a working farm and no construction has yet started.

Are we all agreed?  Thanks for good, productive discussion.

SteveA
California