> I’ve been doing OSM for around a month, and have been mainly focusing on my
> local neighborhood in Foothill Ranch (Orange County in Southern
> California).
> As a kind of showcase I'm going quite hyperbolic with detail, far more than
> I'd do anywhere else, and it's been helpful to understand the tradeoffs of
> effort vs results.
>

> 1) Address points –vs- house outlines?

The Orange County GIS data, including the parcel database, probably with
the associated addresses has recently been released into the public domain.
If there isn't a specific point address layer, I'm sure there are some of
in the Seattle OSM group that can generate one for you from the parcel
centroids to assist with an import. Also, some of the individual cities may
have building footprints, but you would have to identify those, I didn't
get that far into the weeds.

https://media.ocgov.com/gov/pw/survey/services/lis.asp and
http://geospatial.blogs.com/geospatial/2013/08/orange-county-parcel-file-now-freely-downloadable.html

Michael Patrick