On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am much more worried about imports for a completely different reason,
> and that is data maintenance....
> If the external data were not imported, but kept in a separate
> external-data layer, the situation could be different, because you would
> have the option to refresh the external data form time to time. But this is
> not the data model of OSM.

*Not necessarily true*:
I run several ongoing synchronization scripts.  These keep OSM in sync with
a commercial dataset.  The longest running is for car sharing: data from
the reservation system is compared to OSM. OSM mapper additions are
respected.  But if the car is removed by the operator, it's deleted from
OSM.

And this is a two way ongoing import:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Dero_Bike_Repair
Improvements on either side flow to the other (except in the UK, due to
community preferences regarding imports).