> Sorry for the late answer, been on the road for two days and now are on a
> rather flaky network connection.  See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes#France for a very short
> synopsis of the GR issue.

is this something the OSMF lawyers have had a look into? Is the issue
really "copyright" or is this about "trademark" (regarding the names "GR"
"PR" etc.)? Currently it seems we are accepting what the Fédération
Francaise de la Randonnée Pédestre claims, without questioning whether
their claims hold up.

E.g. why can't you do a survey and publicly say: "here is a sign which
reads GR 4" similar to making a survey and publicly saying: "here is a sign
that reads 'Coca Cola'"? This doesn't question the CocaCola trademark.
Also, we are mapping roads and buildings, but the projects leading to these
constructions are normally protected by copyright, and also a building can
be protected (architectural work). None of these do stop us to map them in
other fields, what is the particularity why GR cannot be mapped?

Cheers,
Martin