Yes, this is commonly done in OSM.   Generally speaking, anything with a
footprint and some kind of roof can get a `building=*` tag.   In most cases
people tag it as `building=yes` but you could really just make up anything for
the tag value.   `building=riverboat` or `building=train_car` would be fine.

`building=no` is the only one (afaik) that downstream consumers need to watch
out for.

Thanks, Bryan