According to wikipedia
"National Forest is a classification of federal lands in the United States.

National Forests are largely forest and woodland areas owned collectively
by the American people through the federal government and managed by the
United States Forest Service, part of the United States Department of
Agriculture. Land management of these areas focuses on conservation, timber
harvesting, livestock grazing, watershed protection, wildlife, and
recreation. Unlike national parks and other federal lands managed by the
National Park Service, extraction of natural resources from national
forests is permitted, and in many cases encouraged. National Forests are
categorized by the US as IUCN Category VI protected areas (Managed Resource
Protected Area)."

Technically National Forests are protected areas. Leisure activities are
allowed but also include commercial use of the resources.

boundary=protected_area is more appropriate than leisure=

Clifford

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Russell Deffner <
> russell.deff...@hotosm.org>
>
> >> Sorry I don’t follow this topic more closely but I would think with the
> >> mixed-used of national forests, it is best to use
> boundary=protected_area
>
> > After reading the wiki page Russ linked to, this seems correct as one of
> > the sub-types is "Protected area with sustainable use of natural
> > resources:" Along
> > with leisure=nature_preserve the national forests in question are already
> > also tagged with boundary=protected_area
>
> So despite not liking the tag, I concur that this is reasonable given
> existing standards.
>
> So it sounds like just dropping leisure=nature_reserve fixes everything.

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch