cycleway=shoulder is used in the US too: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9IE
That seems to more accurately describe the situation, so I'd suggest using
that tag.

I wouldn't use cycleway=lane since I'd expect that to be marked as such.

(basically +1 to Richard's follow up post on the forum
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=506940#p506940 )

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Larry-CalRoadRunner <calroadrun...@gmail.com