>  Does this mean that NAIP will be removing WMS from future services
> and will only support JSON and SOAP?   (which I cannot get JOSM to
accept).

Just to comment on this one point: As a federal agency, the USDA is
*required* to support the open standard option of the WMS service type, so
it *should* be available.

In looking at all the different state NAIP imagery sets listed in their
directory here: http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP, every
single other state lists the WMS option, so it's clearly an error that
South Carolina is missing it.

Hopefully the service maintainers will catch on and correct soon, but if
you or others have a contact it is worth an email to make them aware, both
of the mistake, and of the customer base for the open standard option.