How can I view the current "zoom level"​ in the JOSM editor or at the basic
OSM website openstreetmap.org

Zoom levels are defined as numbers (1-19) at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Zoom_levels

I read a lot of messages talking about viewing details at at specific zoom
levels.

The only place I see zoom level displayed is on my Galileo iphone app.

Thanks,
Alan