At least with regard to the ref tag on a way, there has seemed to be be a lack
of consensus as to whether the state DOT should be followed or whether to use
the postal abbreviation to prefix state routes. Different states are tagged
differently.

I personally prefer the state code in the ref tag applied to the way itself, as
it makes life easier on simple data consumers that don't deal with relations
when there are ways that are on a state line or the more rare case where a
given state's highway route is actually not in that state. (There is an example
of this in far NE Oklahoma, where there is a multiplex of OK/AR routes on a
roadway that deviates fully into Oklahoma for a while)

In relations, I thought the bare number was to be used in the ref tag, with the
disambiguation being in the network tag (e.g. network=US:TX:SH, ref=60), but it
has been a while since I've looked at the docs.

-Nathan