Blake Girardot <bgirar...@gmail.com> writes:

> What tags are we using in the US for disaster evacuation centers for
> like hurricanes and things?
>
> http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/evacuation_center#map
>
> Shows none in the US but I know we have a lot.
>
> I am looking for the right tag to use but am just so shocked we don't
> use that tag in the US, is there another one I should be looking at?

I suspect that in the US, there are almost zero places where the primary
purpose is as a shelter (what we call them in Mass.).   In my town, we
have a school (that has a generator) designated as a shelter in the
local emergency plan and it is activated/opened during extended power
outages or other issues.

There may be a difference between shelter (that you can go to if you
want, to use the shower, have heat, charge your phone) and a place where
you are told to go during mandatory evacuation orders, but I suspect
it's the same thing.

It does seem like evacuation_center=yes is a secondary key that can get
added to describe an attribute, vs the object primarily being a
shelter.  That seems sensible to me.

Nits about spelling aside, it seems as good as any, assuming there is no
real difference between evacuation_center and what we in the US call a
(emergency type) shelter.