> On Mar 1, 2016, at 11:58 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>

> Is there a community that can be counted on to make sure the data
> doesn't rot in OSM once imported - or will you commit to that?

Is this really a serious objection?

If so then perhaps I should not map areas I visit as I might not visit there
again and maybe the data will “rot”. I recently moved, should I worry about the
thousands of objects I mapped in near my old home rotting because I am no
longer there to maintain things as changes occur?

I think the issue is more how good the data is and how well it is imported:
Cleaning up bad data is a pain and can discourage new mappers in an area. It
certainly put me off when I first looked at OSM as the Tiger data in my
neighborhood was dreadful. I only really to started in mapping a few years
later once others had done enough cleanup that I could see things were possible
to bring into a semblance of correctness. But if the imported data is good and
the import well done, it seems to me that local mappers would have no issue
updating it as changes occur in the real world. And if there are no mappers
local to the area, is an empty map better than one with correct data that is
slowly aging as features change in the real world?

I did help on one address and building import in the city next to the one I
lived in, but the vast majority of my edits have been from direct survey with
editing assistance from Bing or Mapbox satellite imagery. Even though I live in
an area where the government GIS data is by law public domain, I haven’t
bothered to see what might be available: I spend lots of hours walking streets
collecting data. So, by inclination I prefer mapping in person rather than
imports. But this argument against imports seems spurious to me.

Cheers,
Tod