A few years ago I started collecting information about how DOTs announce
major changes and construction and didn't get very far. In fact, I only
found Minnesota's DOT RSS and Newsletter (
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/roadwork/current.html) before getting distracted
and mapping.

I would be happy to rekindle this and made a GitHub project for it here:

https://github.com/osmlab/dot-feed

Feel free to join in and help find this kind of information.