To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org, Talk Openstreetmap <t...@openstreetmap.org>
From: Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:24:07 +0200
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Slack

Hi, On 03/29/2016 07:33 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> +1 to this. OSM should be seeking to broaden the base of potential
> mappers, and that means making sure that gateways to the community are
> user-friendly - which these days includes good UX/onboarding experience
> and mobile apps.

Slack is a clear winner there. As a side note, this is also something commonly
debated by the OSMF board and the OSMF members - whether or not, and in
how far, non-free tools are valid to use for a project like OSM and a foundation
like the OSMF.
Example of a recent discussion:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2015-December/003639.html
The spectrum of available services for a specific task usually ranges from
"Non-free software offered as a service" (with and without silo, with and without
payment) over "free software offered as a serivce" to "free software you run
yourselves". The paid-for solutions will usually mean less work for the few admins at OSMF (who have enough work with keeping the essentials running), plus they're usually shinier. The self-hosted stuff is often less shiny but more in keeping with
the free-and-open spirit.
Personally I'm often on the fence as well. I'd love there to be an "internal IT services working group" whom we could task with setting up email, bug trackers, wikis, Mumble servers, and voting platforms as needed but there's no such group
and not enough capacity in OWG to shoulder that too.
I think that OSM owes its success partly to all those who were happy to use it when it was still much less usable than it is today. Had everyone gone to Google because
they had the slickest interface, then OSM wouldn't be where it is today.
On the other hand, working groups or the board tend to have a mission and while some detours for using free-and-open are acceptable, there's a limit to just how
much productivity loss you can accept for going with the less shiny.

Bye
Frederik
-- Frederik Ramm  ##
eMail frede...@remote.org  ##