On 4/12/2016 2:40 AM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
On Tuesday 12 April 2016, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was mapping some rural area in the U.S. and noticed, not for the
>first time, an aerodrome node in the middle of a field where there is
>obviously no airport or airfield.
I am not sure here.  For small airfields the aeroway=aerodrome feature
is a fairly abstract thing essentially indicating only that this is a
place where aircrafts start or land.  This is not generally something
that can be reliably determined from imagery.

You can't reliably find small airfields from imagery, but I've found it possible to verify a lack of airfields from it. I pass though agricultural areas, and the airfields that are still active all appear somehow on imagery, even if it's just an area where the ground cover is different. On the other hand, some of the aeroway=aerodrome we have data for include points in fields of corn, residential areas, and stands of trees.