On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM, OSM Volunteer stevea <
stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> Bradley White <theangrytom...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Just to add my two cents, I do not think that "landuse=forest" should be
> tagged with national forest boundaries.
>

> I would like to be clear, here:  I USED TO believe this, as it was the
> “best practice” at the time, and so I DID tag like this.  But this was back
> in 2010-12 or so.  Meanwhile, the boundary=protected_area tag developed and
> evolved, and now I tag US National Forests with this (when I do) along with
> protect_class=6 (or protect_class=1b on Wilderness areas).  This is widely
> accepted in OSM in the USA.
>

> Yes, natural=wood is an important tag, as it really is distinct from
> landuse=forest:  the latter will have (or does have) trees being felled,
> the former simply will not.  OK, OK, maybe a natural=wood had trees felled
> “a long time ago” and so is second-growth (or third-growth).  I think OSM
> can live with that.  As long as the intention is for these trees to remain
> (uncut), and the entirety of the area (closed polygon) is essentially
> “treed,” I believe natural=wood is the correct tag.  I don’t need to have a
> degree in forestry (nor should I) to determine whether to tag natural=wood
> or landuse=forest.  Start with the former, and if you or someone else
> learns of or knows it to be timberland, change it to the latter.  I think
> that can suffice in 98% of the cases, and the other 2% can “be handled” as
> needed.

Perhaps the problem here is the multiple roles that the the US Forest
Service plays.   Note that that name is from the olden days.  Now the
service is know as the National Park Service.  I looked at the history of
some of these areas.  It looks like most of the tags, nodes, and ways were
configured seven years ago. One of the problems is trying to make sense of
the wiki pages because you bounce around.[1][2].

What does it mean to harvest or fell trees?  It doesn't always mean fresh
cut trees.  I remember skidding trees via a mule in a burn area.  The
rancher that I worked for had a permit to do so from the NPS.  I believe
one of the essential jobs now of the NPS is to cut down trees that were
damaged by beetles so that other trees are not infected.  Sure these trees
are not used to build a building though the standing dead fall may be used
for this purpose in some cases, but the wood makes great fire wood.

I've only casually looked at the protected tag via this discussion.
Perhaps it still applies to the historic preservation[3][4] efforts that
the NPS provides.  I also note at least for Arizona, the Arizona State
Parks department is responsible for forwarding documents to the NPS for the
national register.[5]  In the case of some of these sites, they feel more
like regular parks to me.[6][7]  I like the way Ian brought these over as
leisure=park especially in the case of Pipe Spring National Monument.  Also
note, federal studies must be provided for many construction projects.  I
don't know the exact reasons that would trigger such a study.  The desire
is to prevent additional lost of historic places.  These studies may add
some sites to the registry.

There appear to be problems with the idea of a park.  A park can be larger
than just a small area in a city. In the case of several Maricopa County
regional parks, some have been tagged as boundary=protected_area,
landuse=conservation, and leisure=nature_reserve starting five years
ago[8][9][10].  However, these areas are recreation areas and not protected
areas or conserved land that has been set aside so that moderate human
contact with the area.  These large Maricopa County parks are no different
than New York's Central Park.  I believe that leisure=park is more fitting
for these areas.

Finally, I always wondered why I thought forests outside of Arizona looked
so much greener than what is located here.  Two things dawned on me.  One,
the type of tree is so much different in Arizona compared to, say, a tall
pine tree in Colorado.  Two, there is little to no grass between the
trees.  Hence, some of these boundary=protected_areas in Arizona are
forests but not like the expectation of natural=wood or landuse=forest in
other parts of the country.  ;-)

Regards,
Greg

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:protect%20class?uselang=en-US