On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Peter Dobratz <pe...@dobratz.us> wrote:

> I like to confirm street names by checking for POIs along the street.
> There's a Great Clips hair salon near there with the following address (see
> http://www.greatclips.com/ ):
>
> 906 E 900 S
> Salt Lake City, UT 84105
>
> I would put the following addr:* tags on that business:
> addr:housenumber=906
> addr:street=East 900 South
> addr:city=Salt Lake City
> addr:state=UT
> addr:postcode=84105
>
> I may not fully understand the nuances of Salt Lake City addresses, but
> generally I like to make whatever is in addr:street match what goes in name
> on the road itself.

This gets messy fast, as it can sometimes take a long time (if ever) to
update the postal service on stuff.  Some examples that come to mind would
be when Portland renamed Railroad? Avenue to Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd in
the 1980s.  It wasn't until after 2000 that what remaining signs that
didn't get stolen or damaged off the poles finally came down.  And then
there's what has only consistently been known as OR 213 through East
Portland all the way out of town, which started off as (North|South)east
82nd Avenue for most of it's length before changing to Cascades Highway,
but some or all of both was renamed Avenue of Roses, which will mean that
starts to stick around the time the 2024 primaries are the only thing the
news talks about.  Since then, 39th Avenue got renamed Cesar Estrada
Chavez...which leads to a roundabout with a park honoring Joan of Arc named
after an early Portland settler...Coe figure.

Then there's situations where the post office is highly unlikely to get on
board, and that's when the signed street name is stupidly long to expect
anyone to put on an envelope.  Officer Larry W. Cantrell and Mister Charles
L. Cantrell Memorial Highway, for example.  I don't expect the Post Office
will likely ever stop calling that New Sapulpa Road...

Looking a little to the west of there, there's a Pier 1 Imports (
> http://www.pier1.com/ ):
>
> 30 West 900 South Salt Lake City, UT 84101-2930
>
> addr:housenumber=30
> addr:street=West 900 South
> addr:city=Salt Lake City
> addr:state=UT
> addr:postcode=84101
>
> By that point the road should change to:
> name=West 900 South
> alt_name=Harvey Milk Boulevard

Knowing SLC's grid to some extent, it's fairly safe to assume the West or
East prefix should still be part of the name, relative to South Main
Street/East Temple.  My confusion on how the streets that bind Temple
Square operate are a little off, since I think the temple itself is offset
half a block north and half a block west of the logical numbering system,
and has a house name instead of number due to it's bleedingly obvious
social and religious importance to the region.  And it's bound by North,
West and South Temple (literally without a suffix) on their respective
sides, even though they would be called West 100 North, North 100 West or
West 0 past Temple Square in the system prevalent elsewhere, and Main/East
Temple past the square would be North 0...