Sorry about bothering people one more time. It occurs to me that folks
might be interested in how bad the topological problems with the
original import were.  In the next day or so, before the
low-zoom-level tiles are re-rendered, you might want to check out:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6360587

and

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6360529

to see just how much was lost originally. Most of the loss appears to
have been caused by ring self-intersections in the source data. The
source data set still contains some self-intersections, as is typical
of noisy GPS data, but the usual techniques for denoising it have
worked well (Well enough for our purposes, anyway, in a region where a
lot of the cadastre is 'indefinite'.)