Greg Troxel wrote:
> When converting to garmin format with mkgmap, and I think with osmand,
> I will tend to hear both the name and the ref.  That's a big lengthy, but
> there's no real pattern on which to leave out.

For cycle.travel's directions in the US, I've started post-processing the
name and ref tag to remove duplication. So if name=State Route 315 and
ref=OH 315, for example, it will simply say the road to follow is "OH 315"
rather than "OH 315 State Route 315". But this requires some Lua
string-matching magick which I suspect is outwith the capabilities of
mkgmap.

cheers
Richard