On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Elliott Plack <elliott.pl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've also separated some of the rivers from coastline just to make the
> coastline more manageable in this area.

That strikes me as a very good idea, particularly in places where the
locals don't consider the estuaries to be part of the 'sea'. Farther north,
the back bays of Long Island and New England would also be candidates for
that sort of treatment. It would strike the locals as very odd if the
Jamaica Bay or the Great South Bay were labeled as "Atlantic Ocean." Since
I'm always a little afraid to edit 'coastline' for fear of breaking
something, I like having the 'coastline' as manageable as possible.

In fact, if we USAians were to follow the guidelines strictly, the
'coastline' would extend all the way up the Hudson River to Troy, NY, and
possibly as far as Cohoes Falls and Mechanicville (the dam blocks the
'natural' flow of the tides). The tides are the predominant current in the
river until there. The salt front varies anywhere from near Nyack to near
Newburgh, and can come as far north as Poughkeepsie during a drought.
Nevertheless, if you were to label the riverfront as 'coastline', the
locals would look at you as if you had two heads.