On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

> I am trying to be consistent with the outcome of the discussion that we
> had on talk-us a couple of years ago. Right now both are used
> (north/south/east/west as relation member role as well as direction on the
> relation tag) but the former is used way more often. That’s why I am
> suggesting going with the practice that has surfaced as the most popular,
> as well as the outcome of earlier discussion.
>
> Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly, but I am *not* suggesting to
> use tags on ways to indicate cardinal direction, just assign roles to
> relation members. Agreed that adding this type of info to ways makes it
> impossible to validate / maintain.

Right, I think we're on the same page.  I'm also suggesting it's high time
we revisited the issue as the tools to handle managing
north/east/south/west roles (as opposed to forward/backward) just plain
never materialized.  If it was going to happen, it would have already
happened (it's been years!).

> This also does not have to preclude having separate e/w or n/s relations +
> a super relation — I think that is actually good practice for big relations
> to keep them manageable.

 Pretty much have to for any relation that has a dual carriageway at one
end and is more than a few ways long.