From: Frederik Ramm [mailto:frede...@remote.org]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 3:46 AM
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] MO Stare Road Classifications.

Hi,

On 03/05/2017 10:08 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> I'm not a vehement anti-importer (there are a few around here

I don't know what you are talking about ;)

> There are "county
> highways" that you'd expect to be highway=tertiary that are in fact
> highway=track, for instance.

Or the myriad "highway=residential"s from TIGER that have lead to some bicycle
routing engines to ignore highway=residential/tiger_reviewed=no
in the US because they're often no more than dirt tracks.

A good way to deal with such external data sets as discussed here is to massage
them until they fit the objects on OSM, and then create a map showing where the
state highway department appears to differ from what's in OSM (maybe using
different colours for "their road class is higher than ours" and "their road
class is lower than ours"). Then we and/or local mappers could investigate the
differences and make adjustments where deemed sensible.

And while our ODbL licensed data is probably not suitable for direct
back-import into the state highway department's database, they might actually
find such a comparison useful as well - maybe it can help them spot errors in
their own data.

Bye
Frederik