> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> As long as the Wiki page is merely identifying this as a potential project
> that someone might sign up for someday, thatÅ› fine. As it
> stands, it is incoherent as a project proposal.
>
> Kevin,
> The wiki page was never intended to be a import proposal. It is only access
> to the data, much like other data that can be found on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States/Data.

Clifford and Nathan:  Nor did I "misunderstand" or "jump to the conclusion"
that "the import had already occurred."  Nothing in my post even implied that.

> My hope is that users find the data interesting and use it to build and grow
> their communities. Not only is the data useful in OSM, it can be used to help
> other community members learn the policies, tools and techniques to import
> data properly into OSM, in a way that improves the map. There are even some
> smaller towns that could be import by a single individual. Certainly not
> California!

As somebody who has CAREFULLY done imports (both before and after our
guidelines were published), the most important consideration that I have is
that the data enter OSM with the utmost, highest possible quality.  This means
vetting them before, making sure they go in correctly (during) and checking
after that they entered as intended, among very many other quality-oriented
processes.

> The import guidelines are pretty easy to follow and should be followed. There
> are a great number of tools that can be used to extract smaller chunks of
> data such as QGIS and PostGIS as well as python scripts from other imports,
> like the LA address and building import. The US Tasking Manager is a great
> tool to use to 1) work small chunks at a time by people with training in how
> to use JOSM and OSM and 2) a built in validation layer for more experienced
> mappers to review the work.

Thanks, Clifford, I most certainly agree.  Tools help, yet tools are not all
there is.  Tools can sometimes be leaned upon too much as a crutch, and data
imports are not like pulling the trigger on a machine gun, whether to vet,
upload, or data-check.  Having a practiced eye towards what high quality
geographic data actually look like (both before and after upload to OSM) is
absolutely essential to anybody acting in a leadership capacity during an
import.

Spirited discussion!

SteveA
California