Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com writes:
I have been working with 2D building footprints from LA and other counties here
in Berkeley on a research project, using a PostGIS/GDAL stack and a libosimum
tool, among others..
The project is broadly named  "California OpenData ECN" .. I am committed to an
open data process. Not much more to say at this moment, but I am reading this
and want to contribute in some way, when thats possible.

Excellent!  How fortunate that talk-us has allowed this sort of broad-reach
connection to occur; it's nice when we resonate on same or similar frequencies.
 Brian's blurb about his technical stack (PostGIS/GDAL) exactly mimics how
Kevin (Kenny) recently mentioned how he has approached similar Big Data
projects:  "pour the shapefiles into PostGIS using ogr2ogr."  Nathan (well,
maybe NOT Nathan...), that seems a decent initial approach to take to split
apart the Microsoft data's Bay Area file of 3+million objects, a project to
which I haven't the volunteer bandwidth to offer right now.  Brian, thank you
very much for your participation and any continuing future collaboration you
might be able to offer to help blend/merge these endeavors.  I encourage you to
remain in listening mode and speak up when it makes sense.

The potential harmony between Brian's building data footprint project and the
availability (I hesitate to say "early stages of a Microsoft data import," as
we haven't even the roughest sketch of a project proposal, let alone a formal
import proposal) bodes well for a future of California (and other places where
the Microsoft data exist) building footprint data coming into OSM.  Somehow, if
we keep the good intentions and good communications moving ahead towards good
consensus, I think we can get there.  But again, it is a gigantic project, and
it goes without saying once again that it must be done correctly within OSM's
community (import) guidelines.

Very much in listening mode,

SteveA
California